FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - El Al First vs Continental Business/First
Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:25 am
damaxer91

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
El Al First vs Continental Business/First

This past week, I flew on LY in First Class from TLV-JFK on LY001 and returned 2 days later on CO84 in Business/First from EWR-TLV. I think that anyone who has flown on the new CO Business/First, will agree with me in saying that it is a significantly better product than LY’s Business. I will go as far as saying that it’s even better than LY’s First Class. Here is how I rank things:

Check-In/Lounge- I like the fact that LY’s F passengers always receive their luggage right away, while CO’s Business/First passengers have to wait among the others. Continental’s Terminal C Presidents Club at EWR is far better than the Business & First Class King David Lounge at TLV in terms of size, offerings and amenities. The LY lounges at JFK and especially at EWR (Marriot) are nothing to write home about as are the Dan Lounges at TLV but least the Dan lounge is after security and in the actual terminal so I’ll give the advantage to CO.

Seat-I absolutely LOVED the new CO mini-suite. Big screen with fantastic AVOD and an extremely comfortable seat/bed whether you are lounging or sleeping. LY’s seat is good and the mattress for sleeping makes things a bit more comfortable. I also like all of the room on the 744 to move around the cabin. First on the 772’s is really a step down. Advantage to CO as well.

Food & Onboard Amenities-
As someone who adheres to Glatt Kosher standards, I liked the food on both airlines, though I like both airlines food out of NYC than TLV. Both use the same caterers. CO’s amenity kit is better, though LY gives out PJ’s and a “gift” upon arrival, which month happened to be heated eyeshades . It’s usually better. Slight advantage to LY

Service-Both Airlines lack top notch FA’s though LY’s F service is more personal than CO’s BF service, especially the FA-Passenger ratio. CO’s Israeli FA’s are especially unprofessional and lack the charm of their LY counterparts. CO’s US FA’s are very nice, but have much to learn still. Advantage to LY

Overall- Although I would love to give the nod to LY, CO's Business/First product is superior to LY's First Class product where it count's most and considering the price as well as the fact that the miles can be earned/burned with a variety of partners, I will continue to fly with Continental