FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID
Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:04 pm
studentff

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by pmocek
Do you know your pharmacist? Last time I had a prescription filled, it was by a pharmacist who'd known me since I was a child.

When people speak of "requirements" that we present documentation of our identity, I usually remind them that we are not required to have such documentation in the United States and ask them to consider what happens to people who do not have it.
I never recall showing photo ID to obtain healthcare services or pick up a (non controlled substances) script. But much to my ongoing outrage we are *required* to show photo ID to get sudafed, the safest and most effective decongestant, due to federal law (and formerly some state laws). Even pharmacists who know me from previous/repeated visits insist on seeing the ID, presumably because their jobs are threatened if they don't check it.

I have no idea what happens to someone who truly does not have ID. I would love to see it litigated, as I believe that pharmacists logging our medications, and automatically and without individualized suspicion turning those logs over to police for aggregation into their database in some states, is as serious a threat to freedom as TSA's ID checks.