FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Proposed amend TB guidelines: TB members take leave of absence from moderator duty
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:34 am
Spiff
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I don't support this proposal.

Every moderator started out here on FlyerTalk as a member, just like everyone. One usually spends considerable time as a member before volunteering to moderate. I don't buy into the assertion that some magic transformation occurs once that happens that makes the member no longer see things as other members do (i.e. different perspective as the OP hypothesizes). If anything, it may give them an added perspective which can be a asset, rather than a liability.

TalkBoard sometimes asks moderators for their opinions on matters and rightly so. Their perspective can be quite valuable when it comes to issues concerning a forum or creation/alteration/deletion of a (similar) forum. The moderators of a forum quite probably spend the most amount of time in a given forum and can offer very valuable insights to that forum and its operations.

The TalkBoard officers are selected by the TalkBoard. Their position has nothing to do with moderation. The moderators are selected by the host. The current host has stated time and time again (though some have have chosen to try to shout down the host on this and select other issues) that TalkBoard is not to involve itself in moderation. In January, SanDiego1K will become Community Director. I do not presume to speak for her, but the decision as to whether this policy will continue is hers to make. I do not plan to support a motion that attempts to change the current host's wishes, i.e. attempt to plant the TalkBoard officers into the moderators' forum.

The decision as to whether moderators can serve on TalkBoard does and should continue to lie squarely with the members who vote for their TalkBoard representatives. There hasn't been an all-moderator or all-non-moderator slate of candidates that I can remember. There is usually a large number of candidates to select 4 or 5 representatives from as well.

Last edited by Spiff; Dec 17, 2010 at 9:50 am