FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My First Pres Platinum Experiences
View Single Post
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:05 am
tarheelnj

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by cbechdel
Will any of this change my flying decisions? No. I appreciate the clean planes and generally consistent core services, and the route map that they fly where I want to go, and my luggage has well over 99% delivery rates, but it's a shame what could be such an important program, is really nothing more than smoke and mirrors - and done poorly with dirty mirrors !
I suspect if someone at CO is reading this, they'll go right to your last paragraph and ignore the rest. Sounds like you got a dud agent. I suggest next time you call back, and call collect as they will accept international collect calls from countries where there's no local toll free number.

CO announced the PPlat program late last year, got people like me to rack up big spending (where there were *A biz class alternatives), then rolled out the program (late) at about the same time that they changed other parts of the OP program. Like lower level elites on higher fares and anyone upgrading with miles having priority for upgrades over you. Then selling ELR seats at the time of booking to anyone.

Others may have different experiences, but for me, PPlat has been a bust.

Next year I will still make Platinum, but I will fly CO only on nonstop domestic routes where US doesn't have a flight. Any BF flight where there is a *A non-stop (or same # of connections as CO) alternative, I will take the alternative. For example, I will go to MNL 3 times next year, and instead of $8k each on CO via HKG, I'll go SQ via SIN. Same elite mileage but no $$ on CO. This way, I'll build up RWU's and SWU's for use on those domestic transcon CO flights I do take.

If your experience turns out to be the same as mine, you might want to consider a similar approach. If not, and, despite the travel experience you referenced, you do get T-6 upgrades, etc., then I'll be happy for you.