FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2011 revisions - before and after
View Single Post
Old Dec 17, 2010, 1:38 am
Jasper2009
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I ran the numbers for Es using different scenarios and received the following results (sorry, no spreadsheet I could easily put up on FT):

1) E flying within NA on Lat fares, 500miles

will benefit from new program, as upgrades only require 1 credit

2) flying within NA on Lat fares, 1200miles

will benefit from new program, as upgrade only requires 1 credit, will have the ability to confirm upgrade on all segments

3) flying within NA on Lat fares, >1500miles

will benefit slightly from new program, but not as much as those flying short-haul NA segments

4) flying within NA on T+ fares

-will benefit assuming they only used SSWUs in the past (no SWUs during the holiday/summer promo) due to the flexibility of the new program (2.5 long-haul NA upgrades or 4 short-haul NA upgrades if E chooses tier bonus)

5) flying internationally on T+ fares, <5000miles

These Es face drastic cutbacks, they have to forego the tier bonus in order to upgrade one roundtrip (or wait until they cross a threshold with not enough credits left for upgrading a Lat roundtrip)

6) flying internationally on T+ fares, >5000miles

These Es face drastic cutbacks, they have to forego the tier bonus in order to upgrade one roundtrip and wonīt even have enough credits to upgrade an intīl Lat roundtrip after crossing the next threshold

7) flying internationally on M fares, <5000miles

These Es also face massive cutbacks of about upgrade 50%
Es used to get 6 SWUs + tier bonus, now 3 roundtrips + tier bonus, threshold credits donīt improve this situation (formerly 2 SWUs, now 1.25 upgrades)

8) flying internationally on M fares, >5000miles

similar to group 7, but cutbacks are even more significant due to the differentiation of >/< 5000miles
Es used to get 6 SWUs + tier bonus, now 2 roundtrips + tier bonus, threshold credits is not even enough for upgrading one segment

9) flying internationally on Lat fares, <5000miles

Es used to get 6SWUs + tier bonus, now upgrade credits is enough for upgrading 4 segments + tier bonus
Threshold bonus is slightly devaluated (2SWUs vs. 10credits), but not significantly

10) flying internationally on Lat fares, >5000miles

Es used to get 6SWUs + tier bonus, now upgrade credits is enough for upgrading 3 segments + tier bonus
Threshold bonus will only upgrade 1.25 segments (vs. 2 segments under the old system)

---------

The trend of the above analysis is quite clear:

Es upgrading Lat fares within NA benefit from the new program.
Es upgrading from T+ fares within NA benefit due to the added flexibility.
Es upgrading from any fare internationally face massive cutbacks, it is important to notice that these cutbacks do not only apply to those Es flying on T+ fares internationally (who may have been the target of the cutbacks), but also greatly affect those buying M and Latitude fares.

As I almost exclusively fly internationally, it shouldnīt be hard to figure how much of an "enhancement" the new program is for my flying pattern. (and that of most intīl travellers)

While the cutbacks for Es buying T+ fares on intīl routes may be necessary from ACīs point of view (I respectfully disagree), I find it very hard to find a plausible explanation for the drastic cutbacks Es are facing who buy intīl M/Lat fares.

The easiest way to solve this IMO is to lower the credits required for intīl Lat fares and/or awarding additional credits for purchasing Lat/Exec. First fares.

Last edited by Jasper2009; Dec 17, 2010 at 1:44 am