FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ATL gate agents refuse to put me on standby
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:43 am
kahuna613

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
ATL gate agents refuse to put me on standby

I am finishing up a weekend award trip, connecting in ATL on my way from Salt Lake to DCA. There was a flight leaving earlier than mine (back to DC). As soon as I landed in Atlanta, I called the Medallion line...was on hold for 40 minutes before I finally got up to the podium at the gate for the earlier flight I wanted. I asked if there were seats available (no there weren't, I had watched the 1 unassigned seat go to 0 on the GIDS while on hold). I then asked to be put on standby for the flight. Then came the excuses...uhhhh we can't put you on standby because its an award ticket. When I questioned them, they conceded they could, but due to the large number of irops pax, they refused. I pointed out that the standby list took such factors into account when determining priority, but they wouldn't back down. I wouldn't get any joy out of taking a seat from someone who had been delayed overnight, but I'm presuming that wouldn't have happened anyhow if the standby list gives priority to irops pax. If a group of 20 pax misconnected at the last minute, I might have made it onto the flight. Such things are never clear until right before the flight closes. According to delta.com, I am entitled to standby if a confirmed seat isn't available within 3 hours of departure of the desired flight:
"If you are unable to secure flights with the Same-day Confirmed Program, we offer this standby option free of charge to Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members at the kiosk or ticket counter."

Am I incorrect here?