FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Duty free allowance if transiting in KUL
View Single Post
Old Dec 12, 2010, 9:53 am
dsgtc0408

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Originally Posted by blizzardtweaker
Dang... I'm actually ticketed separately for my two sectors ICN-KUL & KUL-SIN... so in that case, nothing I say (or even showing my ICN-KUL boarding pass) would help since the system would block it?
Oh well, I guess thats one reason why one should avoid transits in KUL then...

Should I then try to make my duty free purchases at ICN or KUL? (duty-free stores at departure halls are usually cheaper than the ones at arrival anyway) Or will they get confiscated? Or will I have to pay the tax? (IIRC, Singapore has some pretty expensive tax on alcohol)

anyway, thanks for the replies guys!
I've got a somewhat different view. When Singapore Customs says having arrived from Malaysia, I think they actually mean that you legally entered Malaysia (ie gone through Malaysian passport control and customs, and ended up on the groundside at KUL all set to take a cab or the train to KL). That's not you as long as you stay airside; for them to try and tax you on this, Sing Customs would be looking for Malaysia entry and exit stamps in your passport which I suspect you won't have. But why go through all this handwringing? I'd just ask Sing Customs. There's a bunch of emails addresses you can try, this is the one for the customs checkpoints at various ports of entry: [email protected]
I found it on this page: http://www.customs.gov.sg/mis/con/

Where to buy? You know what, I have no idea if you're better off purchasing in KUL or SEL. If I'm right, you might even consider buying from SIN duty free. Be aware that the limits on alcohol have been liberalized recently. In the past it was one litre each of wine, beer, and hard liquor. However they have loosened by allowing you to swap the litre of hard stuff for an additional litre of either wine OR beer (ie you still can't bring in more than a total of three litres of alcoholic beverages duty free). The link is

http://www.customs.gov.sg/leftNav/tr...oncessions.htm

Finally, I doubt they would confiscate sensible amounts of booze; I suspect they'd rather collect the duty and any fines instead.

Last edited by dsgtc0408; Dec 12, 2010 at 9:59 am