FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID
Old Dec 11, 2010, 6:04 am
ScatterX

I've finally had a chance to completely review this thread. I'll not worry about the quotes, but wanted to address all the comments slamming Phil for standing up and not showing his ID. There are at least two other current threads (one mine) that include TSA using LEOs to demand that passengers provide ID when doing so is not required and may, in fact, be illegal.

In my case, I reluctantly provided ID because I was (at best) going to get thrown out of the airport and honestly believed I was about to be arrested. I did nothing wrong, did not cause ANY disturbance, did not raise my voice, did not insult anyone, etc. I simply and politely asked what my rights were (when I knew for a fact that the TSOs were not following TSA policy). Instead of a reasonable response, I was threatened. I chose to not to stand up for my rights and now feel a little cowardly for doing so. I also fear what the TSA is going to do with my personal information.

Why does this matter? Does this really have nothing to do with the TSA? I think not. The TSA is using LEOs as surrogate agents for harassing people into compliance. This, IMO, is illegal behavior and is directly related to the way TSA operates.

I personally hope Phil's case is not dismissed and the resulting acquittal/appeal will shine a huge public spotlight on TSA/LEO behavior. Either way, I hope he follows with a massive civil suit.

Some think it's OK for the government---at anytime and place---to demand ID, record the information, store it for unknown purposes, and harass people into compliance with government mandates. These people are usually called communists. YMMV.