FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vonage is Nice, but anything Cheaper?
View Single Post
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:11 pm
DisneyDude

Programs: DL D & MM, Marriott P, Hilton S, UA, US, AA
Originally Posted by pittpanther
I use Vonage for my home-office line. For those not familiar, Vonage provides a box that sits between a regular telephone and my network router. This box provides dial tone, and allows me to receive calls.

Drawbacks:
1. This only works when I have the little Vonage box. If I wanted to go on vacation but still use my number, I would need to take the box with me, AND have access to a router to plug into. If I am somewhere with only wireless access, like a hotel room, I cannot use my Vonage setup.
2. The price used to be below $30, but is now creeping towards $40 per month.

Because of the work I do, it is OK if I need my work computer to make calls. Is there an option for VOIP calling that could:
- use my laptop instead of a separate box
- that would allow me to send AND receive calls with a phone number I could give to my clients
- is cheaper than Vonage
- works even if I only have wireless access and cannot jack into a router

Bonus points if I can connect something that looks like a regular phone to my laptop - but a headset is acceptable.
Have you looked at Skype with a Skype-In number? Not sure of the cost, but you can find that out at www.Skype.com. You can also get "normal" handsets that plug into a USB port. With Skyp-Out you can even dial like a normal phone.

Last edited by DisneyDude; Dec 10, 2010 at 3:12 pm Reason: added info