FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Severe Ear Pain Upon Airplane Descent
View Single Post
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:25 pm
LizzyDragon84

Originally Posted by sawsmanfc
Thanks for your advice.
I recognize that rate of descent is under the control of the Airport tower controllers, but was questioning if the pilot could adjust cabin pressure based on the approved rate of descent.
In other words, once the rate of descent is determined, does the pilot have any control over cabin pressure in order to ease or eliminate severe ear pain for passengers?
Based on what I've read in some of the various "Ask the Pilot" threads in other forums, the pressurization of the plane is based on an ascent/descent chart that plane manufacturers put out. I think the pressurization is handled automatically by the plane's systems, but the pilot may have some control over it. In any case, most planes going to 35,000ft. are going to be pressurized to the equivalent of about 8,000ft in altitude at cruise level. Most planes can't be pressurized beyond that point due to structural limits (although I've heard the new 787 may be able to go to the equivalent of 5,000ft).

In any case, I don't think the pilots can do much to minimize ear pain by changing the cabin pressure- it's already set to change fairly gradually. Fact of the matter is, the pressure's still going to change by several thousand feet. But I'm glad your wife has seen an ENT and I hope that helped solve the problem.