FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID
Old Dec 6, 2010, 2:18 pm
ScatterX

Originally Posted by flyinbob
Somewhere in this board I posted exactly that sentiment, expanded a bit. But what I'm asking is what you consider "decent, cost-effective security provided by an accountable organization", because I'm guessing that is something there would be LOTS of opinions on.

Yes, the TSA has turned us into a nation of cowards, no question. However, there is a reasonable middle ground that will provide a level of safety without trampling civil rights. The posts in this thread seem to have eliminated most things that people might otherwise think reasonable. So the question is what's next? How do those who suggest eliminating ID checks, and therefore no-fly lists and trusted traveler programs, suggest we proceed?
I agree with all you've said. My position in that we cannot implement "reasonable and decent" measures by committee or public opinion. TSA bears this burden. Congress must oversee them. We the people must make it clear when we disagree and both the TSA and congress must adapt. Until people stop basing their opinions on fear and emotions and start looking at real risk and what the real problems are, we won't have either freedom or safety.

The reason this is called theater is it doesn't work. We are sacrificing our freedoms for nothing, only an illusion of safety. TSA hasn't even demonstrated they can stop the LAST ATTACK with any measure of effectiveness. It is nearly certain they wont stop the next one, because the bad guys are going to adapt to what TSA is not doing, whatever that may be. TSA cannot be right 100% of the time and shouldn't try. The terrorist only have to be right once. We have to figure out who they are and target our resources at them. The closer we our to their planning stage, the better. Like it or not, we are accepting the risk. TSA is just wasting our money and grabbing our nuts.