FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:10 am
Firebug4

Originally Posted by mynetdude
Seems like we're getting on point here I don't have a problem producing ID as required by law, simply being asked to produce ID in this case like Phill I would have refused, A) there isn't any reasonable suspicion and B) if the LEO ordered him to produce ID for TSA then as you said, this is questionable.

The LAW requires a person to produce some kind of ID identifying who they are, but the LAW says LEOs can't do this without suspicion (IIRC also known as probable cause) I don't think there was any, but I wasn't there.

There doesn't seem to be a valid or non-valid reason for the LEO to prompt them to ask for Phill's ID in this thread or did I miss anything? Again, in a hypothetical situation if I'm an LEO using my judgment/common sense, where have I need to ask Phill for his ID? He hasn't broken any laws that we can see here on this thread; now Phill may have broken the law by not producing ID to ABQ PD but without proper probable cause Phill breaking the law seems to be moot.

Cops are getting dumber, they are just humans in a uniform with bling blings.
Reasonable Suspicion and Probable Cause are two different standards. Reasonable Suspicion being the lower of the two standards. You are using the two term interchangeably. They are not the same thing. If there is a dispute and police are called to the dispute to investigate the it is reasonable in the investigation of that dispute to know who is involved in that dispute.

FB