FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:58 am
thadocta
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
I agree the airlines need to confirm identity.
Why? The ONLY interest that the airlines have in confirming identity is WRT revenue protection, to make sure that the person travelling is the person named on the ticket.

This though, as I have said, is a revenue protection issue, rather than a security issue, so call it what it is, it is about airlines not wanting to be abused by people on-selling cheap return flights.

Otherwise, if the person flying has been properly screened, then what difference does it make? It can be OBL for all I care, as long as EVERYBODY on that flight has been properly screened.

However, TSA's function is to check for disallowed items passing through security. The passenger's name has no relationship to potentially banned items.
Agreed. So again, there is no need to verify identity when undertaking the security screening process.

Dave

Originally Posted by flyinbob
My hatred of the TSA is well documented, but it would open up a significant loophole if there was no ID check to get into the secure area. A clear person buys a ticket and hands it off to someone on the no-fly list. While the TSA in theory should stop them from bringing "dangerous" items in, we all know that is crap, so to prevent no-fly violations there needs to be some ID check before getting on a plane.
That assumes that the "no fly" list is actually valid.

Dave

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 13, 2010 at 1:22 am Reason: merge consecutive posts