FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - POST HERE: Links to articles about WBI/groping
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:06 pm
lkkinetic

Programs: AA Gold (former Platinum), SPG Gold, SWA, UA, National Car, TSA Disparager Silver
Here's a long essay written by a former Assistant Chief of Police in Montgomery County, Maryland; she writes extensively about her experiences and analysis of why she's always singled out for additional screening:

http://www.hlswatch.com/2009/10/15/%...arch%E2%80%9D/

I am left to wonder whether my own passive acceptance of these evolving search procedures has contributed to a potentially fatal dichotomy: what we allow TSA screeners to do in order to maximize efficiency and enhance our perception of safety, or what we really need them to do in order to preserve our rights and dignity and enhance our actual safety.

We have asked TSA to find the tools terrorists use and prevent both from boarding a passenger plane. We have unintentionally created an agency that now seeks efficiency and compliance more than any weapon or explosive.

While returning my computer and shoes to their proper places, I watched the screening line at BWI. I thought about the haphazard events surrounding the security screening process. As I watched the screening officers, I wondered what information drives their decisions. Left only to my observations, I concluded that their decisions were entirely random, and likely based upon three criteria: passenger load, staffing, and whim.

I was left to conclude that I am not screened because I look like a terrorist. I am routinely screened because I look like someone who will readily comply. I decided then that my next invitation to enjoy additional screening would be met with more inquiry.
Although her essay is a year old, it still resonates.

As an aside, I am never singled out for additional screening, and I suspect it's because despite being a petite, middle-aged woman, I walk fast, stride purposefully, and make frank, aggressive (yet still polite) eye contact with TSA personnel. Her observations are consistent with mine.

Game on! Here are the first glimmerings of some travel industry revenue implications:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40440009...l-travel_tips/

With the economy slowly rebounding, 2011 was shaping up to be the best year for travel since the recession began. Prices were expected to rise only slightly, and people were making plans to take a long-postponed vacation.

But now that the Transportation Security Administration has introduced full-body scanners at many American airports, and subjected those who opt out of the machines to an "enhanced" pat-down, the 2011 outlook has changed, say travelers.
Even-handed story, reports on other possible causes for flat revenue in the travel industry in 2011.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 3, 2010 at 1:55 am Reason: merge consecutive posts