FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No bottled water on long-haul - is this the latest enhancement?
Old Nov 30, 2010, 7:50 am
Monkeyjinx

Programs: BAEC Gold
No bottled water on long-haul - is this the latest enhancement?

Right,

I am annoyed. It's trivial, but that's not the point!

I flew back from Providenciales with BA last month. I was flying with my better half on two one-way, full fare CW tickets paid for by yours truly (the reason for which is an entrely different story!).

Everthing was fine, except that there was not enough water for the 8 hours on board. They had a jug of the stuff that was being despatched into small glasses if you went to the galley to ask in the night, but no bottled water. The cabin crew were very apologetic, especially in the morning when there were a lot of thirsty people. I wrote to customer services. This is their response:

Dear Monkeyjinx,

I am sorry there was no bottled water available on your recent flight with us from Providenciales. Thank you for contacting us about this.

Like many other airlines, British Airways has been affected by the current economic changes and has taken action across the business to ensure we are able to survive the current economic downturn. Following feedback from our customers, we have found that expectations of us as an airline have changed too.

It is important to balance these changing expectations with taking action to reduce our costs where it is sensible to do so. This will make our business competitive and sustainable for the future. We have focused on removing cost in areas where there should be no or minimal impact to our customers or in areas where customers have told us the current offering offers little or no value to their in-flight experience.

We recognise it is vital to maintain the high standards that we pride ourselves on and that we continue to deliver value for money to our customers as part of our commitment to remain a full-service airline. This includes delivering world-class service consistently. Please be assured that we are confident the changes we have made do not compromise this. Your experience as a customer will always be our top priority.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We recognise we are operating in an increasingly competitive market, and hope that you will continue to choose British Airways as your carrier of choice.

Best regards

British Airways Customer Relations
Is this right? Who are these customers who think that water "adds nothing to their in-flight experience"?! I would be more upset if they stopped carry Gin & Tonic, but really?

Rant over.

Monkeyjinx