FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - W Chicago Lakeshore 2007, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]
Old Nov 29, 2010, 9:30 pm
Johnny Rocket

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
I just completed a 4 night stay at the W Lakeshore... and overall it was pretty decent.

Booked under the Bank of America rate which not only gives great rates at about $169 a night but also includes $25 credit per person for Breakfast! So already me and my friend had $200 credit to spend in the restaurant (and this includes tip) along with two drinks for the bar in the Living Room. PM me for the SET code.

I was upgraded to a Suite overlooking the lake... the view is spectacular.
I arrived in the middle of the night and had to argue a little for my extra breakfast coupons. I was only given 1 for each day despite two of us staying in the room. The problem was sorted pretty quickly.

I was concerned after reading the reports that this was a glorified Days Inn... it really wasn't. Sure, the building isn't gonna be part of the Chicago architecture tour anytime soon, but the interior is decent. There's a good gym and pool area. The business center is a rip off charging $5.95 for 15 minutes and about $1.00 per piece of paper printed. The girls in the marketing dept next door can help you get around this if you as nicely though!

Breakfast was decent each morning with a buffet laid out when the hotel is busy. On one occasion there was an attempt to rip us off by charging $6.95 for an orange juice! For some bizarre reason, Orange juice is not included in the overall breakfast buffet but coffee is - go figure! The server wasn't too pleasant about the whole thing.

One particular irksome charge was the parking charge - $54 a day! This is ridiculous. I've paid less in New York City for the night... and when Beverley Hills parking garages charge a $1.00 for two hours... I cannot believe the nerve of the hotel for charging this.

But again, the room could not be faulted. The suite was a decent size - the bathroom excellent and the bed extremely comfortable. The location is perfect both for the Navy Pier and also for the Magnificent Mile.

I think to sum up.... don't be too concerned by some of the more negative reviews on here!