FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex travel booking site: bonus points, fees, and limitations [Consolidated]
Old Nov 26, 2010, 1:19 pm
LufthansaFlyer

Originally Posted by ENFO
I couldn't find a thread for people's experiences on the Amex travel website.

I was looking into an intl flight to get double MR, but I was surprised to discover that they don't give the child discount (75% of adult fare) that one usually gets when booking directly with the airline. Also, couldn't figure out before paying what the actual fare was, fare rules, etc. Everything was very vague - there may be a baggage fee (when flying intl there usually isn't), there may be a cancellation fee (the site was quoting a $$ amount more than the airline website).

Child discount aside, the adult fare was also more $ (by maybe just $100 but it adds up for a party of 4). Now I know I may not comparing apples to apples, but that's why I was looking for the fare code. In the end I think I'll go back to the airline just because it's much more clear what you're buying.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I would be interested to find out what other people's experiences are, any unexpected situations arise out of buying tickets from them?

I use the amex travel booking site all the time because of the 5x multiplier for points (gold rewards card) and will agree that the site usually has a small premium for the same fare as you'll find on other websites. Plus they will charge a small booking fee.

As far as the kid discount, you may want to call amex directly. Their booking engine isnt the most dynamic. I think they sublet it through travelocity.