FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How much is a point worth?
View Single Post
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:50 pm
todorovic

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by SMF Rider
In your opinion, should I use points or miles for a stay where the point to cents ratio range for the Hyatts in the area range from a low of 2.1 cents per point (prior to the 10% tax which takes it to 2.3 cents per point) to 2.65 (pretax) cents/pt. I am also factoring into my decision that I will not accrue new points if I don't pay with $$.
  • With current hotel rates and redemption rates, what would you do?
  • What is the best "exchange rate" you have obtained?
  • What is your normal exchange rate?
Background Information
I hoard my Hyatt points. I used them once years ago in Hawaii and that is it. I have a over three hundred thousand points that are losing value each year. Even though I know they are devaluing, I am saving them to go scuba diving and travel when I retire.

I value Hilton points at $.005/pt or half a cent/pt.
I value UA miles at over 3 cents as I use them when I can find availability for international travel in C or F. I used to value them at 9 cents. Recently I downgraded them to about 5 cents per mile.
I tipically redeem at ~2.5-3 cpp so that's how I value my points. Those redemptions are either overseas or high-end US properties during the peak season. I also tend not to hoard my points - currently I have award reservations that will drop my points total by ~300k points.

To answer your question, based on the cpp ratio I would most likely use points for this stay. However, this depends on the overall rate - I'm more inclined to use points if the nightly rate is above $200. If we are talking about a $100/night vs. 5k points I may pay rather than spend points. Ultimately it's up to you to decide how much money you want to spend and to use points if the price is more than you are comfortable with.