FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Garuda Indonesia to join SkyTeam
View Single Post
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:08 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
You must be kidding. Only a few years ago the EU banned this carrier from flying to any European airport because of safety issues. Like many in the developing world, there was no culture of safety.

SkyTeam will be the laughing stock.
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
I was just about to say, didn't the EU ban flights from Garuda until relatively recently (i.e. 2009) because of completely inadequate safety standards? Also, I think some countries still ban flights from them separate from the EU (or at least ban most of their fleet). Awesome, SkyTeam just keeps getting better. Race to the bottom. I was so worried that my upcoming flight from East Timor to Papua New Guinea wouldn't get MQMs.
Originally Posted by s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1
As I recall, NW ended their partnership with Garuda several years ago due to these safety issues.
This is what I remember about Garuda. I do not have a positive impression and some of the comments in this thread that they're now not quite as bad as they used to be are not reassuring to me.

The partnership between SQ and DL is dissolved and now ScareTeam adds GA when we already have SU. I understand there's a North Korean carrier not yet in any alliance....