FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi rental insurance coverage now PRIMARY (VISA only, NY excluded)
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:47 am
psyflyer
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by hillrider
My Citi "Platinum Select AAdvantage" VISA is getting a new set of additional programs and services as of 15 October, according to a letter and its enclosed "Summary of Additional Program Information" (MV5635 09/10).

Reading the section Worldwide Auto Rental Insurance Coverage, it appears that, with the exception of NY Residents, these major changes will be in effect:
  • Insurance is PRIMARY (i.e. not in excess of other insurance you may already have)
  • There are no blacklisted countries
  • The coverage period has no maximum number of consecutive days
  • More types of cars are covered; for example, while they still won't pay out more than $50,000 worth, cars valued at over $50,000 are now covered

If you're a NY state resident, well, you shouldn't be surprised that your terms are not as good...

For me, this is MAJOR news and gets this card to be competitive to the recently spinned-off Diners Club card

-----------------------------------

Just read the "Supplemental Summary of Additional Program Information" (VSPE 09/10) that I got with my Citi "Platinum Select / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard", and there the only change is that the coverage period changes from 15 to 31 consecutive days or less.

The MasterCard program is now way inferior, both in substance (it's secondary, has loads of exclusions) and in form (its terms are way more complex, difficult to understand, and filled with potential potholes).
Does this apply to the Mastercard version?

Also OP since you seem to be Italian, I will be in Italy shortly and will have to rent a car, do you suggest any particular credit I should use? The Amex for some reason exempts Italy as a country vis a vis providing car rental coverage. Molte grazie.