FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Heads Up! Senate TSA Oversight Hearing -- 17 Nov
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:09 pm
Rabidstoat

I just jotted something off quick while at work, to my Georgia senator on the committee:

I, like many Georgia residents, am deeply concerned about the invasive screening procedures that the TSA has recently initiated, which have been highlighted on many national news media sites. In addition to my concern over the appropriateness of the imaging technology (privacy concerns, health concerns) and the invasive nature of the 'enhanced' patdowns with groin searches on everyone young and old, I have also heard of the man who was threatened with fines for failing to submit to these screening procedures.

I understand that we can opt not to travel by air, and I have indeed been minimizing my air travel as much as possible. However, I fail to see the constitutionality of detaining someone for failing to submit to security procedures that are not FULLY and COMPLETELY disclosed before entering the screening area. This sounds like illegal detainment to me.

So, I don't approve of the new enhancements, and I don't believe we are benefiting as a nation from them. And furthermore, I believe that there are unconstitutional detainments being threatened by the TSA.

I, as a voter, would appreciate someone looking into these issues.

Thank you,
<real name withheld here>