FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Honolulu President's Club Closing 11/30--Will the HNL RCC expand hours?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:50 am
Fredd

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I have watched many folks approach them with very little aloha spirit and as if they were in a Manhattan deli.

Which is a mistake...
Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
Which has been my observation/experience as well. A certain number of DYKWIA types have to come in and strut their stuff, and they might not get the aloha experience. But exhibiting kindness to them has paid dividends...
DYKWIA? I'm not a New Yorker, if that's what you mean. FWIW our "home" SEA RCC employees seem to like us, and we like them.

We did approach the counter at 5:20 a.m. with smiles (no struts), said good morning, and Mrs. Fredd offered up her BP, complete with passport, since on our most recent visit to this RCC early this year we vaguely recall that a "big deal" was made about showing ID. The female employee basically "went off" on us when either Mrs. Fredd or I said that we didn't need our membership card in other RCCs, snapped "read the sign," pointing curtly (if one can point curtly) at the sign on her counter.

After I'd told her I didn't appreciate that attitude, and she first conceded "Yes, you're right," she talked further about how she'd worked at the RCC for "40 years" (or some similar number) how she's complained about the admittance policies of other RCCs in conference calls with other clubs, and how pleased she was that "Chicago" was now doing it her way. She also said that, recently, when there was a long lineup, she told people that those with RCC membership cards would get to enter immediately and that nobody waited more than a minute. I won't pretend to be completely accurate in the above as I'd somewhat tuned her out and didn't want to engage her, but that's something like the gist of it. Yes, it was quite a little lecture to start our long day.

Those who know us know Mrs. Fredd and I aren't exactly the DYKWIA types. This employee clearly has a cause about requiring members to show their membership cards rather than BPs and has made it her "mission" to sort everybody else out. We all have our causes, don't we?

It's great that RCC HNL employees are generally so full of the Aloha spirit. I don't expect a lei greeting or an offer of Hula lessons - I'd just like to be able to enter without lectures. Based on my experience, I'd advise others to use your membership card and ID rather than BP to enter this particular RCC.