FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 17 year old girl not looking forward to family vacation...
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:37 am
tusphotog

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Pyridine
As I am still a minor, if my parents want me to fly with them, do I have a choice at opting out of these things?
Yes. You do. Educate your parents and siblings. They might not opt out, but would be less surprised if you opt out. The TSA can't force you through the machine. If they try to, just be uncooperative. "I won't raise my arms." "I won't stand inside it." "I'm not moving until I can opt out and I'm going to delay all these many hundreds of sheep behind me" and so on. The TSA isn't going to stick a gun in your back and say "get in the box, pretty girl!"

But here's a tip from someone who practically lives in airports. Just relax. Worry about the destination, what you're going to do when you're there and so on. With a little simple observation, it's not hard to avoid these things. For example tonight at Las Vegas three lanes were open at the A/B/C checkpoint when I walked by: two with the regular WTMDs and one with the NoS running. Just go to the WTMD line. SJC: one NoS and 4 WTMDs.

You'll be fine. Go with the flow and BE OBSERVANT. I'm willing to bet that with an extra 30 seconds looking around, you can pick your line and not have an issue.