FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mixed Classes, Infinite fun and/or Madness: The Autumn Run with United Airlines
Old Nov 6, 2010, 4:19 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Arrow In closing up....

I said earlier that United were “Distinctly Average” in business class. And whilst there were flashes of good service (especially in the first class), there appears to be the usual lack of caring down the back.

The staff were mostly friendly along the way, and have improved a fair notch - maybe Jeff's smiling face is working on them day by day. I've got to say that people have been a lot friendlier this trip than any other United run I've done before.

But some little things just made this trip bearable. The Vodkas helped, but I'm seriously unsure about the refurbishment of the 777's. The seating isn't great and there is next to no padding on them. The A320 First seats were acceptable as recliners, and the International Business seat is an excellent seat.

So, apart from the glaring 777-200, the hard product was fine. However, the soft product needs to be tightened up quickly - as well dare I say the timings of the product need to be improved too. Starting a service at T - 1:15 to landing is quick to get everyone fed, and tided down again ready for landing. And that's probably the most disappointing thing - the timing of the service.

US Security and Immigration also need a shakeup. The queues are getting longer, the questioning is taking longer and it takes forever to do anything. A case of more people needed, and people who actually listen.

Oh bother. 12277 miles down, and 9000 miles short. I guess I should had focused on earning miles rather than spending them earlier this year.

No matter. Coming early next year and just time time for *G re-qualification is what promises to be a pain filled epic (and trust me, from the amount I’ve fun I’ve had with misconnecting flights with it already, it’s promising to be a corker): Blame Canada! It’s only a mileage run anyway! (with a motley collection of Star Alliance carriers)

Until then - safe travels!

Comments and Thoughts welcome