FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mixed Classes, Infinite fun and/or Madness: The Autumn Run with United Airlines
Old Nov 6, 2010, 2:51 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part III - Hyatt Regency O'Hare and A Chicago One-Time Exception

Part III - Hyatt Regency O’Hare

Hotel: Hyatt Regency O’Hare, Rosemont.
Rate paid: $119++
The Pictures

Yes, I walk outside. I don't take cabs everywhere...

Yes, I have my reasons for being here. The fact this hotel is one of my preferred ones in the USA is besides the point really. But for those who haven’t been here, I’ll recycle through the points again .

My luggage was taken from me and I was invited to check in. Initially I couldn’t at the Kiosk, but a lovely agent released one of my preferred rooms, and reminded me of my benefits (Free Internet and late checkout) and I went upstairs to crash and decompress for a bit with my luggage following behind me.

A reason why I love this hotel is that you can request balcony rooms. For smokers, this is great. But I don’t smoke... so why would I want a room like this? The Hyatt is on the approach to O’Hare, and gives a very nice spotting area to watch planes in the comfort of your own hotel room...

The hotel itself very nicely appointed with a large atrium area a reasonable bar and restaurant, and just lots of nice artistic touches.

Moving onto the room, it’s a classic Hyatt room, which is spacious, full of Portcullo smellies (I think I can go on record to say I actually like the white ginger stuff they have), and the bed… Oh if I had the money to have a Hyatt bed…

Bed

Work area

Handtowels..

The staff as usual were excellent during the stay - and some of the ones who I had seen before welcoming me, and their convention services staff were their excellent selves.

Additionally, staying 5 nights here does have a very useful purpose - it qualifies me for an extra 10,000 Hyatt points. Which could be a useful later trip (but that’s besides the point for now)...

Right - enough of this flying malarkey for a bit. Time for something completely different - and it involves water

One Time Exception - The Chicago Architecture Foundation Boat Tour.
Price paid: $32

The pictures:
Call me a romanticist, but I’ve always loved the skyline and buildings of Chicago, with the great amounts of variation of design. And I thought it was high time I actually went on the water.

It’ll also be the first time I’ve actually managed to get on the water in Chicago too. Not bad after... what? 9th visit to the place? (11 if I included the “Just Passing” trips).

Chicago's First Lady

I made my way down from O’Hare on the L, and walked from Clark and Lake to the boarding area, and directly to the boat after paying the $32, and being a photography geek that I am – I took the top deck in the centre, sat down and just spent the time watching, listening and clicking.

See for yourself

Trump and Wrigley Buildings

United shareholders should know this building...

Those bridges are *low*

Merchandise Mart

Boeing HQ.

The Loop

Towards the river mouth

The Wills Building

The commentary was excellent with explanations of the designs of the buildings, the architecture styles and the history of Chicago, with the 90 minutes flying by.

Overall: You don’t have to be an architecture buff to enjoy this cruise, and if you’ve ever been to Chicago and looked at the Skyscrapers and buildings in the city/Loop area in wonder, for $32, this cruise comes highly recommended. Just make sure you go when the Chicago river isn’t iced over….

We now return you to your usual programming of inane babble of sitting in seats and moaning.