FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Renting a PocketWiFi at NRT?
View Single Post
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:39 am
O Sora

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by Steve M
I just got back from a two-week visit to Japan, and rented one of these devices. It was the exact same device mentioned in the OP, except I got mine from another vendor, Telecom Square. ...... But the devices and carriers appear to be identical.
I've found a web page advertising the service.
http://www.telecomsquare.co.jp/globa...eails.php?id=3

Saying:
Only 1,500JPY/par day & Unlimited !!
Dairy mobile Wi-Fi rental service ....
Perfect for MOO-bile computing.
Japanese are not good at distinguishing the pronunciation of R and L, as you may well have noticed.

Originally Posted by Steve M
The only time it didn't meet my expectation was on the Shinkansen. .... the problem was that the 3G signal drops out every time you go into a tunnel, and takes about 30 seconds to re-acquire once you're out, which on the Sanyo and Tokaido Shinkansen lines, seems to be just enough time to get you to the next tunnel in many cases.
The mobile wifi router you rented uses emobile 3G network. Docomo 3G network's connectivity is generally believed to be much better in rural areas. All the way between Tokyo and Osaka on the Tokaido Shinkansen line, Docomo 3G data communication is available according to the next Japanese article.

新幹線でも快適にネット接続