FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QF 32 - Engine Exploded? (General discussion of the events)
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:42 am
number_6
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by PresRDC
...I am not sure if Rolls-Royce sells the Trent 900 to Airbus as a propulsion system (i.e. the engine, nacelle and components) or if it just sells the bare engine. If the latter, and if the failure occurred in the nacelle, then it is an Airbus issue and not a Rolls issue.
The same nacelle is used for both the 900 and GP7200 engines on the A380, manufactured by Aircelle and presumably fitted by Airbus so it is their responsibility. The inboard engines have thrust reversers, while the outboard do not (rather interestingly all the A380 engine problems I'm aware of have been on inboard engines).

Originally Posted by Brettmcg
Qantas has grounded all A380s pending further investigation together with authorities, Airbus and Rolls Royce.

Three A380 flights tonight (2 LAX and 1 SYD) will be affected first by suspension of A380 flights.
As I predicted earlier in this thread -- gotta love the howling on FT for all the 744 substitutions. QF might have to bring some out of retirement