FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thai Airways (TG) [NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free)
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:28 am
forumpersona999

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by kiam
Most of my trips (except non-mileage accrual fares), you should be able to call and put "on request" for either front row seat (of each cabin section) or exit seats. I am not 100% sure if the reasons my requests were mostly granted (meaning I got what I requested when I checked in) because of my Gold status, but if you really need to sit in the front row or exit, on request is not gauranteed but better than waiting until checking in (which most of the time someone else who checked in before you would get it). Travel agent won't be able to block those seats for you and TG won't be able to confirm them either. It is unreasonable (especially for Gold members), but it is what it is.

As a volunteer ambassador, I still have so much to learn but at the same time I welcome an opportunity to assist as much as I can.
The official reason is that the check-in agent needs to assess whether you are physically and mentally able to follow instructions and possibly assist the crew in an emergency by operating the emergency exit door.

The don't want to promise you the exit row seat on the phone and then find you are frail / intoxicated / whatever when you check in. Requesting it by phone will usually cause them to put a note with your request on the PNR and pre-allocate you a seat *near* the exit row seat. Subsequently showing up at the check-in counter as a status pax with plenty of time to spare yields the best results.

Once you are seated, the FA are also supposed to show you the special emergency procedures card in the seat-back for exit row seats and again confirm with you that you get the drift and ensure that you understand that in an emergency you may well be called upon to clear the exit and operate the door. TG often skip that little pre-takeoff chat.