View Single Post
Old Oct 8, 01, 10:13 am
Shareholder
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
About the only drawback for someone with your travel profile would be the lack of domestic UA threshold upgrades, though I believe these can be purchased. Beyond that, Aeroplan SuperElite strikes me as offering you more benefits than 1K does. You have identified the primary one: essentially unlimited, confirmable at booking, SWUs from most discounted fares, including intercontinental flights. [This also makes up for the lack of any award upgrades.] And from my understanding of fares, someone flying from the US to the UK, or the UK to the US, may actually save money with AC's mid-level Y and full Y and J fares, over those of the US carriers.

And the added bonus over UA is the fact that the STARGold lounge access wth AC would apply to UA's Red Carpet Clubs, even when you are travelling within the US on UA flights and have no ongoing, same day international flight. Even 1K does not give you that benefit, so you would be saving $300 or so on a RCC annual membership.

SuperElite has really been designed to meet the needs of intercontinental travellers like yourself.

AC, however, will not comp you with SE, of that I am almost certain. The UK sales office might consider giving you Elite as a starting point, but you'd still have to earn 100K next year to move up to SE. That said, if you requalify for 1K this year, you can have your initial flights for 2002 credited to AC, while making use of the SWUs you'd get with the UA 2002/3 renewal kit. [Elite is STARGold, so gives you most benefits except for the SW upgrades from almost any fare.]

Once you hit 100K next year, you will be upgraded to SE status, and receive the bounty of new benefits for the balance of 2002 and into the 2003/4 membership year.

So you will not be giving up too much next year to move across the Aeroplan.