FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sample Anti-Body-Scanner Letters to Congress, Airlines
Old Oct 27, 2010, 6:24 pm
InkUnderNails

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
You want short,

Here is short:

Dear Congressperson:

I recently had the experience of traveling by air to (insert trip description). Of course, this required that I go through the security lanes at the airport manned by the TSA.

They tried to get me to go through the the new scanner, but I asked not to as I have heard that some of these emit radiation and I really think that it is a significant infringement of my rights have to allow someone to look at my naked body just so I can get on an airplane to (trip description).

So instead of getting scanned I was surprised to get frisked just like a common criminal. Is this proper? Is this part of a new law? I never had to do this before.

I am embarrassed and more than a bit angry at this. This does seem right to me. I do not like having a stranger rub their hands all over me and I do not need to be scanned with more radiation.

Not only that, this scanner line was a lot slower. A whole lot slower. What with the pocket emptying and the pat downs, it is much slower.

Please look into this. I believe that the TSA may be going to far.

Thanks

(your name)
And another

Dear (Congressperson):

Thank you for your time.

I travel a lot and it is necessary for my work. I am really upset about the installation of the new scanners that are a virtual strip search that the TSA uses at my airport.

They are slow. They are inconvenient. I do not want to be hit with any more radiation than necessary to get a medical diagnosis. And, if I ask to opt out, I am patted down like a police suspect. Is this really legal? It is very uncomfortable.

Please take an opportunity to look into what is happening to people that just want to get on an airplane.

(Your name)
And one more

Dear (congressperson):

I would like to take a vacation, but I have heard that they have new scanners at the airport that will look at my (age) little baby (boy/girl) naked before they will let us get on the plane. A friend says that they can opt out but will get rubbed all over by some stranger. That is just wrong!

Surely this is incorrect information. If this is happening, it can not be something that congress approved. The old metal detector and occasional search were fine, but this is just too much. Is this even legal?

Thank you for your time.

(your name)
I could do this all day long....

Let's try one for the CEOs

Dear (name of airline executive)

My name is (your name). I am a very frequent flier on your airline, (loyalty account number), have flown (number of miles) in the last (number) of years. I love flying on (name of airline) and I always enjoy the experience. I have spent many happy hours flying to and from (place) on (name of airline).

That is until now. The total experience is greatly ruined by the travesty that is the screening process at the airport. It is so bad, that I have begun to look at alternatives to flying.

I wish I could put a stop to the naked image scanners and the retaliatory pat downs for opting out. I do not need the extra radiation and the extra time these machines take make it even harder to travel.

I can not stop them, but you may have more influence. These new procedures are costing you passengers. Not to other airlines, but to other modes of transportation. These are customers that may be very difficult to win back. And I have talked to many associates, and it is more than just me.

Thanks for your great airline, and I hope I can stay.

(your name)
And for what it is worth, this is the response to my long letter to WN:

Dear INK,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns regarding the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).

It's important to explain that the implementation of imaging technology is solely determined by the TSA and not by the airline. The TSA has a responsibility to ensure the security of the traveling public. However, they also recognize that there is a delicate balance between privacy and security; therefore, imaging technology is optional for all passengers. Please visit the TSA’s web site for more information (including locations where imaging technology is currently being used) regarding this screening method.

Again, we appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts. Should your future plans require air travel, we hope we will merit your consideration.

Sincerely,

(Persons' Name), Southwest Airlines

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Oct 27, 2010 at 7:57 pm