FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sample Anti-Body-Scanner Letters to Congress, Airlines
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:02 pm
LessO2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My suggestion:

Dear Sir or Madam:

I joined the American Airlines AAdvantage program in August 1993 as a high school student when I was preparing to take my first AAdvantage trip to visit my prospective university. Since that time, I attended that university, graduated with honors, earned degrees and experience, entered the workforce, and started my own business which is now prospering. Now, at the age of 34, I have been an Executive Platinum passenger for over 5 years in a row. I am a resident of the Dallas-Fort Worth area, proud to call American Airlines “my” airline, and proud to call the United States of America my home. I am living the American dream.

However, the extent of my loyalty and pride will only go so far. I am outraged and appalled at the practices that are occurring at airports around the country by low-level security agents under the auspices and direction of the TSA. The screening techniques that are being used on law-abiding citizens on an everyday basis and at whim are unacceptable and must be stopped. The use of whole-body imaging and “enhanced” pat-downs are egregious violations of the rights of American citizens guaranteed by the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution.

(I would put something a little more human to the last part of that last paragraph, saying something to the effect that it's a shame that having dignity is something else that is not allowed past the checkpoint, and that you do not intend to continue flying at the cost of it).

I am writing to inform you that I have made the decision to reduce my business travel and personal travel in 2011 to the lowest levels possible that will still allow me to earn income and honor family commitments until this hysterical madness comes to an end. I have officially notified my clients of this decision and I have proudly explained to them the reason for my decisions. I have the support of my business partner who has also made the same pledge. As well, my clients have all responded positively and are in support of my decision.

I would shorten that to: My family and my clients support my decision to reduce my travel in the year 2011, quite possibly to the level where attaining any status with American, or any other airline, is unlikely.

Although the TSA may shoulder the burden of the direct costs of security, the persistence of the American people must not be underestimated. Ultimately, the tide will turn and the ramifications of these rights violations will impact the airlines financially. I ask that you consider this letter carefully and do your part to stand up for the rights of the free and honest Americans who are being violated by the TSA and its current practices. Thank you for your attention and concern.

I would say: It is ironic that I fly an airline named American, as I feel that what we are subject to at the airport by the TSA is anything but American. When exactly will leisure travelers and, more importantly, business travelers will just say "enough?" I have reached that tipping point, and by my discussions with other American Airlines customers, I am likely not the only person who feels this way.

I look forward to your response.

If you do anything to the letter, I would definitely take out the "low level security" thing.

Just my two cents.