FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cell phone usage on the ground
View Single Post
Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:53 am
HerpaYvr

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Well I can see the thread getting nasty and I hate controversy; all am going to say is that rules and laws change for one reason and one reason only….they were wrong as first stated! I know those rules and laws were set based on the very best information known at the time and its unfair to use today’s knowledge to judge past acts.

I always laughed when we were not allowed using a cell phone on the plane but when I look out the window, six feet or so away in the honey wagon, baggage cart or catering truck; someone was on their cell phone. So how was that any different than us on the plane? Don’t even get started with the airport terminals that surround the planes, people on cell phones beside, behind and in front of the plane?

I can’t say that I have ever been on a plane that people were not on their mobile devices on approach, after take off or right after touch down. It happens, it’s a fact. How many people say anything to you? I have been asked three times by fellow passengers about the potential safety issues of me using my PDA. One I had detained when we landed in YVR and the other two I assured them I knew more of what was happening then they did.

So prior to the Oct 18th checking your e-mail could potentially kill everyone on board and cause unknown Chaos. After Oct 18th its all good! Wow it’s like speed signs, one day you’re arrogant, unsafe, careless and a danger when doing 110 KM/H in a 100 KM/H zone. One day the highway department changes the sign to 110 KM/H …..Now you are OK? Funny!