FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need to confirm travel documents ???
View Single Post
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:00 pm
lostinthewash

Programs: AC SE100K
To clarify my frustation, when you fly to the US from YYZ, the agents are nobodys (no offense). The FIRST thing you do is clear US immigration, then you check any checked bags then you go through security into the secure zone. To not issue a boarding pass without seeing an airline agent is irrelevant - you aren't going anywhere without an iris scan via Nexus, or talking to US immigration where your passport is scanned. I understand the US wanting to make sure travel documents are checked if the first opportunity is on US soil after the plane lands, but that's not the case with Canadian departures. We are treated as domestic arrivals because we've cleared US customs before we even say goodbye to our bags.

Is it a big deal to see the agent? I'm checking a bag and can't do that without in-person contact at YYZ anyway, so no, it's not a big deal. But my point is - what's the point? Make rules that make sense.
(and I'd sell my soul to cancel this trip, but I have the misfortune of not working for myself and my boss would only accept death or destruction as a valid reason to not go). And the vacation next week is Europe