FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help w/ Seat Maps AA/QF
View Single Post
Old Aug 20, 2003, 3:58 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jridge:
Personally I hate flying through SYD because (a) even if the plane arrives early you cannot land due to curfew, (b) you have to take a bus ride from the intl to domestic terminals. I fly QF94 (AA7356) through MEL.</font>
The OP said his destination was SYD, so they don't need worry about the inter-terminal bus ride and would not want to transit through MEL in order to get to SYD. Your suggestion only makes sence if the final destination is other than SYD, MEL or BNE. However, I must agree that if you need to connect, then MEL is much more civilized and I chose it over SYD when I cannot get a direct flight into BNE.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Also be aware that the rugby world cup is on in Oct. This will generally bump up traffic on all routes (although less so from the US cf Europe/Africa where extra flights have been scheduled).
</font>
QF have increased the number of flights between LAX-SYD due to the higher demand at present. This extra service (QF149/150 I believe) may not have an AA codeshare. QF108 is the flight that originates in JFK on certain days and tends to be the busiest of the QF flights over the Pacific.

As for the original question, I assume you are not looking for static seat maps (which are on the QF web site), but you want to see which seats have been pre-allocated. These can be seen at seatmap.com. However, be aware that QF generally block out whole sections of the seat map and show them as unavailable for pre-allocation. This is done for several reasons, one of which is to reserve the most sought-after seats for premium FF's to pre-allocate. They will only allow pre-allocation up to a certain percentage of the aircraft, but will still reserve for pax with OW Emerald or Saphire status after this limit has been reached.

Note that unlike some other airlines, a QF seat map is unlikely to reflect the true booking density of the flight. The majority of QF passengers do not pre-allocate seats and take what they are allocated at check-in, which is a lottery that I am unwilling to take myself.

[This message has been edited by NM (edited 08-20-2003).]