FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Non-revenue / nonrev / NRSA travel issues (terms conditions, etc.) (consolidated)
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:33 pm
Non-NonRev
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by dawizard
hello flightnurse, would you be able to tell me what D3 pass is (I'll also attempt to search about it online) but hearing it from you will certainly help a lot. Is this pass available available for everyone or just in specific countries? I hadn't heard of this option until just now. Is it same in behavior like I would be on Standby till the flight is boarded and if seats are available at that point I would be allowed in?
IIRC, a "D-3" is what AA calls a "buddy pass".

Generally, airline employees and their immediate families have direct flight pass benefits (typically spouse, dependent children under 18 and parents, although it varies from airline to airline).

When an employee wishes to "gift" someone who does NOT qualify for direct pass benefits, they give the person a buddy pass. The buddy pass traveler is almost always at the bottom of the boarding priority list, meaning that they are among the first to be bumped (or never seated in the first place).

Example: Years ago, my older brother and I traveled to Mexico City. Because my airline did not give siblings any direct flight benefits, my brother traveled on a buddy pass.