FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying The Kangaroo Route – QF A380 First Class (w/pics)
Old Sep 18, 2010, 5:24 pm
Genius1
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver

Excellent washbag contents

The Qantas A380 First Suite features a detachable touch-screen ‘suite controller’ conveniently located adjacent to the seat, which operates practically all of the suite’s functions, including the 15” IFE touch-screen (with automatic opening/closing), automatic window blinds (which can also be controlled by the touch pads below each window), lighting (of which there are numerous choices) and of course the various seat positions. For takeoff and landing, the seat faces forwards (with a shoulder seatbelt, in addition to the more usual lapbelt), but during cruise, the seat turns 45 degrees and can then extend into a fully flat 6’6” bed, which is almost 30” wide at the shoulders. My flight attendant came by to top up my drink and then gave me a guided tour of the suite, making sure I was happy with everything and assuring me that if I had any problems, just to press the call button. He advised that for operating the IFE, it was probably simpler to use the older-style hand-held controller hidden in the armrest (the same as Business) rather than the touch-screen suite controller, and indeed it was much simpler. I was also advised by a friendly well-travelled Australian gentleman a couple of seats behind that it was fine to keep my carry-on suitcase under the ottoman, and indeed this was fine also! As our A380 neared boarding completion, I was aware of a gentleman arriving to Seat 1K, who was evidently a member of one of the sports teams sponsored by Qantas. I have no idea who he actually was, other than he was wearing his team colours of green and yellow (I think) and seemed to have got an upgrade, judging by the late arrival and some mention of previously being in Business. Unfortunately, 1K’s seat motor decided to completely pack up early into the flight, resulting in another passenger volunteering to swap seats with the sports chap (presumably after some hefty compensation had been agreed).

Suite controller

Seat adjustment options

Lighting options

Flight path showing on the suite controller – handy when watching the IFE

Stowed alternative IFE controller

Alternative IFE controls/phone

Stowed large meal table

Two handy storage lockers

At Gate 1, LHR T3

With an estimated flight time of 12h20 to SIN given by the captain, my empty glass was quickly collected as the cabin was secured and the FAs demonstrated the shoulder belt to those unfamiliar with it. This belt was really rather restrictive, and I was glad to release it once we had lifted off. Pushback was at 12:10, followed by a lengthy but powerful takeoff roll from Runway 27L. Takeoff was made much more interesting than usual by being able to watch the aircraft’s progress from the tail camera feed. Qantas doesn’t require the IFE screen to be closed for takeoff or landing in First, but they do in Business – I presume this is something to do with the escape options from the seats in the event of an evacuation.

With the seatbelt sign extinguished, canapés were offered (delicious) along with another drink, and not long after a flight attendant was bringing around the leftover canapés – needless to say that I didn’t refuse a second helping! Shortly the Cabin Services Manager (CSM) for the LHR-SIN leg came around the F cabin, introducing herself to every passenger and having a chat with each person. She was really personable, and made everybody feel welcome – another compliment email sent to QF! As the cabin settled down, I fired up the IFE to check out the movie options, settling for Green Zone, which turned out to be a pretty good film. Throughout the flight the IFE system didn’t crash or even think about crashing once – take note BA!

Second orange juice and canapés

Automatic window blinds, at half-level

Privacy screens raised in-flight

Menus were shortly handed out, with the FA apologising for the photocopied sheet handed out in place of the proper menu – apparently they hadn’t received the proper menus yet, but the photocopy looked like it had been copied directly from the proper menu (ie. same font and layout), so I was unsure what the exact problem was. The lunch menu on today’s LHR-SIN sector was as follows;

Lunch

Canapés
Seared Hand Dived Scallop with Fresh Herb Dressing
Foie Gras on Crostini with Gewurztraminer Jelly

Salads and Other Things
Italian Tomato Soup with Pesto
Prawn and Watercress Salad with Lemon Dressing
Salad of San Daniele Prosciutto and Bocconcini with Balsamic Vinaigrette

Light, Vegetarian and Sandwich
Seared Halibut with Lemon and Olive Oil Dressing and Green Vegetables
Sweet Potato Agnolotti with Braised Silverbeet and Lentil Cream
Big bowl of Mushroom, Porcini and Pearl Barley Soup
Asian Style Beef Pot Pie with XO Sauce
Our signature Steak Sandwich with Tomato and Chilli Relish

Seared Halibut
Broad Beans, Asparagus and Black Olive Sauce
Potato Puree, Ratatouille and Parsley Butter

Pomegranate Glazed Corn Fed Chicken
Pilaf and Sautéed Zucchini
Parsley Butter, Potato Puree and Zucchini

Roast Rack of English Organic Lamb
Potato Puree, Ratatouille and Cumin Mayonnaise
Parsley Butter, Potato Puree and Asparagus

Side Salad
Salad of Rocket, Radicchio, Mizuna and Baby Gem with your choice of dressing
Aged Balsamic and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh Lemon Juice and Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Palm Sugar Vinaigrette

Cheese
Hand selected blue, soft and hard cheese served with accompaniments

Dessert
Summer Berry Pudding with Clotted Cream
Assiette of Desserts
Whole or Sliced Seasonal Fruit
Roskilly Organic Ice Cream Tubs

Petits Fours
A selection of Amedei dark chocolates
Gingerbread Cupcakes with Lemon Icing
Almond Shortbread

--

Large table laid for lunch

The menu, as you can see, was pretty comprehensive, and I liked the idea of offering a couple of different styles for each main course. I opted for the tomato soup to start, followed by the lamb (with ratatouille), salad (with balsamic dressing) and the assiette of desserts to conclude. All three courses were as close to perfection as you will find in the air. My only complaint was with the cutlery, which was not 100% spotless, which it should have been. There is also, of course, the silly plastic knife that airlines still have to use flying into Australia, and this was all but useless for my lamb.

Soup

Lamb

Side salad

Dessert

The flight attendant was a little forgetful, serving the salad a little late after the lamb, and having to take the assiette back to the galley to add the cream that had slipped his mind. Also, there was no milk in the jug that arrived with my tea. The teapot, cup etc. all arrived on a metal tray – I’m not sure, but perhaps the FA was meant to remove each item and put them individually on my table? These very minor grumbles aside, the meal service was as near perfect as I’ve ever experienced on a flight.

Tea tray

This time with milk!