FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New US Promo: 'Hop, skip and jump' to a higher level of Preferred status
Old Sep 18, 2010, 2:14 pm
mooper

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by dracs
You have a 4 pointer.
Thanks for the verification; I'll send you the bill if you're wrong Still can't believe I'm getting 17 months of Platinum for $148, whereas I would have dropped my US Gold status to zilch in five months otherwise.

At one point (when I used to fly US quite often) I had six US-branded credit cards, each of which I ran up to $25K to get the 10K EQMs. It took $150K of CC spending (business-driven, wasn't a problem) allocation to net 60K EQMs and Gold, then I flew the rest to get to Chairman's. I had let that lapse when my flying patterns changed and it made more sense to put the spending on other cards. Now I'm getting a bump to the 75K EQM tier for just few hours of RJ time. Well worth it, as I still fly US, just not as much, and Platinum status helps make award redemptions nicer, too.

Originally Posted by jfinsocal
The promo page says that it will bump your "pre-offer" status. According the these terms you will have gold via both H/S/J and traditional. If true, this (wacky) promotion is certainly better for those that had status from 2009 miles rather for those that attained status using miles accrued in 2010.
Such is the case for me. I had dwindled down to Gold in 2009 and was letting the clock run out this year, having only 15K 2010 EQMs or so to my name. This puts me back in the mix for 17 more months with almost no effort. Might be a good deal for US, too, as I'll definitely add at least a dozen flights through that upcoming period that I would have likely flown on other airlines instead.