FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kevin gets a little Seoul - To Seoul and Hong Kong with Asiana and Thai in F and C
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:50 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part IIIb - The First Class Experience with Asiana

Pictures 1
Pictures 2

By the time I finished my BiBimBap – that was it. Asiana defeated me on the food front, so I settled for a black coffee.

I have to admit the catering, presentation and thought was excellent, I thought the service was well paced and even the little mistakes were covered. Now if only I had grabbed a pair of steel chopsticks….

At this point I tried to make the seat got into the bed mode, and it wasn’t playing ball. But with the space I had – it wasn’t an issue (considering how messed up my back is by sleeping on the sofa at home) – So I curled up in to a ball and drifted away to the Brit Awards, before waking up and switching to Oasis.. and drifting off again. In the end I counted the best part of 4 hours in the air asleep. Pretty good by my going in a plane.

Eventually Oasis finished and I woke up. I was offered more drinks – but was fine as there was a bottle of water kindly placed by my console. Even during the dead part of the flight I counted the flight attendants going through the cabin every 20 minutes or so making sure things were ok in her cabin.

Headphones - reasonable, but not noise cancelling

The Seat

Seat controls

Which brings me onto their IFE. Whilst the content range is reasonable, there is room for improvement. And no, before you ask, I didn’t rig the iPhone up as a GIFE device – I decided to think lateral instead.

To Boldly Go… - bear in mind in the back of the can I hardly have room to type – let alone watch….

Meanwhile, the F cabin, was empty.

For one passenger only.

So what’s in the toilets – yes I know I don’t do toilet photoing, because some of it is down right creepy.. But in the name of science I’ll find out (GLaDOS would note it is a huge success)

Apart from having room to swing a cat in (which was impossible to do on that grotty 737-500 this morning) the amenities are well stocked with Evian special face demister things, L’Octaine stuff – again – all premium stuff with Toothbrushes, little towels, combs – all the things you used to see many moons ago, but have been dispensed with – or just offered badly with other airlines.

Soon enough, it was time for more food, with a breakfast service.

Drinks

Table laid again

Details...

Fruit to start

Cornflakes

Savory Pancake

And alas, like all good things, the flight had to come to an end. I was presented with a gift from Asiana - a lovely smelling candle.

Slowly, we made our way through the cloud and into the haze that was Inchon, before finally landing and docking at the gate.

I thanked the crew for their excellent service, and was first off the plane.

Inchon

Summary. Consider my seriously at completely WOW’d. Whilst there were some niggles in the experience (mainly seat 1A alas) - considering I had the entire half of a cabin to myself it wasn’t an issue – I suspect there might had been if things weren’t behaving. The crew were charming throughout, helpful and kind. I know these things are expected, but remember, I’m Mr Row 99Z who is used to United’s “best”. Whilst some may say SQ has the best all round product, or United first is the bees knee’s – I urge you to try Asiana.

Whilst some of their product needs minor refinement – It’s an excellent product that deserves investigation on the few routes that have F.

Last edited by Kevincm; Sep 16, 2010 at 12:09 pm