FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:55 pm
Tolarian Wind

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by rwSEA
This is off topic but may be related: I am a silver with 30 nights so far this year (actually just completed nights 31 and 32). When I logged on today, Marriott.com says that I have gold status and must complete 20 nights to maintain it. I did not contact Marriott at all, and only found this thread when trying to find out what happened.

Is this common? It seems I've been granted the gold challenge without even asking. All of my stays have been at the Copenhagen Marriott which is quite expensive. Maybe this is based on revenue to date? Either way, I will take it!
Beware of this. If you should call to do a challange next year, you will be told you are not eligable becuase you have already had one within the past 12 months. It doesnt matter that you didnt ask for this one. At best, they will offer you what they consider an exception, where you make the same number of stays but don't get the status until you have completed all of them.

I suggest that if you dont want Gold this way, you call them, tell them you don't want this challange and have it removed. Ask them to document your account and get the name of the rep you speak with.

TW