FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New York JFK Delta Sky Club: The Definitive Thread
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:59 am
DaddyRabbit
Suspended

DL at JFK

Originally Posted by jt1114
Hello everyone - I am a long time reader - first time poster. I wanted to share a recent experience that I had at the JFK Sky Club in the hopes that someone from Delta will read about my experience and correct the problem for future travelers.

I was recently traveling JFK-LAX on a full fare Y class ticket. I had previously read on Delta.com that passengers in BE or traveling on a full fare Y class ticket for JFK-LAX or JFK-SFO flights are granted complimentary Sky Club access. Upon my arrival at JFK I proceeded to the Sky Club using the elevator entrance. I approached the agent at the desk and explained that I was traveling to LAX on a Y class ticket and I asked to be given access. She asked if I was in BE - I said no. She then refused to allow me access. I explained to her that Y fares were also eligible. After several back and forths with me asking her to check with someone to confirm, she stood firm and told me that I was not eligible, so I left - a little embarassed and a lot confused.

Not sure if I read the information correctly on the internet, I pulled the information up on my phone. Sure enough, I was correct. I then called the 800 number to confirm and the person on the line - who was quite helpful - confirmed. I went back up to the Sky Club - this time using the stairs and approached a different attendant. I explained the same thing to that attendant and was yet again told no. This time I showed the attendant the website on my phone. She proceeded to read only the first half of the site and told me - "It says you must be in BE." I instructed her to keep reading, which she did, and she then read that Y class fares were also eligible. She responded with an "Ok" and then began processing my boarding pass. I let the attendant know that the attendant working the other entrance was also misinformed and that she should speak with her manager and the other attendants to be sure that everyone knows the rules and protocol. She then acted as if it was an inconvenience for her to finish processing my boarding pass into the Sky Club and never apologized.

I am a young - 30 years old - business traveler and I have recently reached GM. I want to like DL and continue to give them my business. I have also been considering joining the Sky Club due to increased travel. However, with this experience (coupled with another abysmal Sky Club experience at ATL Terminal E, which I will not get into here) I'm not sure if a Sky Club membership is a good buy. I do want to say that agent that I spoke with on the 800 number was quite helpful. She also offered to send me a one day Sky Club pass for future use, which I received in the mail this week.

If anyone from Delta is reading this, please be sure that the Sky Club attendants know how the rules that apply to their jobs. This was a bit embarassing and an inconvenience for me and I don't believe that passengers should be charged with training Delta employees. Also, a dose of customer service training is definitely in order for the staff at the JFK Sky Club.

Lastly, thanks to the full fare Y class ticket, I did end up with the upgrade. The BE service was quite nice - keep up the good work on that front Delta.
One of the reasons I never use JFK unless I must, a DL flight to Amman or Cairo. JFK is, well, too New Yorky, rude, uninfomred, flip, smart a**, and think that attitude is cute for some unknown reason. Why DL is expanding there is beyond me.

The last time I was there a SkyClub bartender smelled bad.