FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stupid Question: Why same sex pat-downs?
View Single Post
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:30 pm
FlyingUnderTheRadar

Programs: Delta, United
I find the whole WBI vs enhanced pat downs and who does them interesting. When doing the WBI some unknown person(s) gets to see grandma's naughty bits. That person(s) could be male/female straight, lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (aka LGBT). Because they are unknown there does not seem to be an issue. Now when they are known and have the opportunity for direct contact it is an issue at least for some.

For me personally, I really do not care about the screener's sexual orientation. What I care about is how they conduct themselves. For instance, the screener should first explain what they need to do, next if it involves directly touching someone they should ask for permission (sans permission it is assault). When getting to grampa's junk they need to inform him that they are going screen their crotch area.

One rhetorical comment - these are administrative searches and are voluntary. As such, though I believe they unreasonable, I do not believe they fall under the "unreasonable search" as defined by the constitution. However, I do believe that there is a fuzzy area as the TSA is federal agency. And contrary to what otherwise was well put by castrobeans I do not believe that those in charge of the TSA are following any guidance by of any of the three branches of our government, congress, judiciary, or administrative. Especially, the later as both the former and current administrations have failed.

For instance, the House passed a bill prohibiting WBI for primary screening. In the Senate a bill was introduced to make the WBI primary screening. (Both bills were from Utah). In the meantime TSA said WBI would be used only for secondary screenings yet they have become defacto primary and now we have enhanced pat downs. With all of it no explanation let alone opportunity for public comment.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Aug 31, 2010 at 9:36 pm