FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - german customs and valuation
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2010, 5:22 pm
Aviatrix

Originally Posted by johnm1019
Do I need to be really picky and actually figure out how many shirts/pants/etc... and value each one and declare it over 430 euro, or can I tick the 'I have less than the limit' box and they'll be cool about it?
There aren't actually any boxes to tick - unlike the USA and Canada EU countries don't give out customs forms to arriving passengers. You declare that you are below the limit by going through the green channel when you arrive.

However, I would disagree with the advice given out by others (i.e., that you just go through the green channel hoping that you won't get picked out for a spot check). While the chances of getting picked are indeed extremely small, it could happen - and if you are found to be over the limit there could be trouble.

In your case there is no need to try and sneak things through the green channel - you can bring in your stuff legally as you are moving to Germany, all you have to do is fill in some forms. If I were you I would fill in the forms, rather than take the risk (no matter how small) of getting caught.