FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:09 pm
aidanc

Programs: LH SEN
Sweden - 3 (Tre)

3 (Tre)

This is one of the main Swedish networks.

Getting the SIM

I walked into a 3 shop in Malmo, and bought a SIM with credit of 200SEK (approx €20). I'd done some research on the internet in advance, and asked some Swedes which was the best choice.

There was no need to show ID, or any address requirements (which I found odd).

You ask for a 3Kontant card - most people in the shops will speak English, so I just asked for a pre-paid SIM card with data.

Credit and top-up

Credit lasts 12 months from the last top-up. Top-up is possible at most newsagents, petrol stations and supermarkets. You get a code that you can enter into the phone.

If you sign-up at MITT3, via the tree website, you can top-up with a credit card.

Getting Data Enabled

It takes about 20 minutes for the SIM card to be activated from the time they guy in the shop started the process. You can't make calls or setup data until that's complete. I was not able to hang around the shop, or come back after a coffee, so I enabled the data using the website.

I signed up for MITT3, and then using the website in Swedish, signed up for 3Mobilsurf with credit card payment. This is 30 days internet access for 90SEK, about €9. This activated in a few minutes on the phone.

You can use this link if you have a Swedish bank account.

APN details

I had to google the APN, which was net.tre.se.

Micro SIM

Check out the website as they have micro-SIMs. No need to chop one up.

Last edited by aidanc; Aug 29, 2010 at 12:21 pm Reason: Add micro sim