FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First/Business Class: Should there be age restrictions?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:54 am
MelesMeles

Programs: OnePass Platinum, *G, Amex Plat, Priority Pass Prestige, Costa Coffee Loyalty Card
I agree, but with one caveat: that if we are going to say that age doesn't matter, we have to mean it. That means that behaviour which would be unacceptable in a 35 year-old pax is unacceptable (within limits) from a 4 year-old pax. A 35 year-old who urinated in their seat would be expected to pay a HUGE fine, surely, to cover replacement costs on the seat? (I don't know, never having wet a seat in F, C or Y.) I wonder whether the 4 year-old's family had to pay anything.

Here is an experience that I had in F a couple months ago. An child pax (ticketed in F) walked up and down the aisles punching people in the arms. It didn't hurt, but it was incredibly annoying for the 2-hour flight. When I raised it with a FA, she said "he's just a kid, it's up to his mother to control him, we can't intervene." She also couldn't offer me any compensation (fair enough, that's not her decision), nor could the airline after the fact (outside a couple drinks vouchers). If an adult pax walked up and down the aisle continually disturbing flyers by tapping/bothering/punching them, they would be removed from the cabin, and the other flyers would be offered something by way of apology.

I've also flown with 7 year-old pax (twins flying with their dad to a baseball game) who were incredibly well behaved. They said please/thank you to the FA, and spent most of the flight sitting quietly and reading. I'd prefer them to many of the alcoholic business flyers I've been subjected to.

Last edited by MelesMeles; Aug 29, 2010 at 4:04 am Reason: typos induced by hypocaffeinia