FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Musical Instruments on US Airways
View Single Post
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:26 pm
BobbieMusic

Originally Posted by dt75
Hey everyone,

I just reached silver after making enough segments, but I have a question. On this upcoming flight I'm going to be traveling with my guitar. It's thin and is in a soft case so it shouldn't take up too much space. I haven't had any trouble on any other airlines but this is my first time flying US with my guitar, has anyone had any experience flying with their instrument on US? Hassles with instruments at the airport is the worst thing so any info/tips would be great, thanks!

James
James & Co. writing here,
I never write on message boards but seeing as I have some very VERY important info for you I felt compelled to. I am a musician and recently (June 6, 2010) flew with US Airways as I have on MANY occasions WITH my guitar in a soft but VERY substantial case. They, each time I have gone to board, had me check it at the gate and they "valet-ed" it into the belly of the plane and each time the staff at the gate reassured me it would be SAFE there.
Well, June 6th they broke my $1,700 Taylor acoustic/electric guitar...in HALF. This means that someone must have stepped or crushed it. The case it was is TOUGH and sturdy especially for a technically "soft case." I immediately went to the baggage claim office where people file said complaints and got the damage documented and had a case number issued. I then wrote a letter saying that although it wasn't in a HARD case I had been reassured by airline staff that it would be fine and was NEVER made aware of the zero liability they so quickly divulge now. So they won't pay for the guitar which I had only had for 3 months.

Yes, I realize I should have been flying with a hard case but on the 35th time flying and after successful voyages, seeing how it was handled with care I KNEW it would be fine.
I was also NEVER made aware of the zero liability if I had known I would have picked a different airline or just simply used a hard case.

Please learn from what I already have. Ask the questions and be persistent it is you who will have to pay in the end if something is to happen.

Safe Travels.