FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Belt Rules (Different experiences @ BOS this weekend, Follow-up to TSA)
Old Aug 25, 2010, 3:00 am
DevilDog438

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pineappley
two completely serious questions, as a female, that were alluded to in jest but may actually occur:

what about outfits being held together by a belt? (i have some wrap dresses that are great for flying, but if i remove the belt, it's no longer a dress.)

and...what about belts legitimately holding pants up? i can't remove the belt on some of my jeans without gravity taking effect. maybe tsa will bump my grad student stipend so I can afford new jeans?

oh well.
I really was not joking when I posted my comment about dresses with belts.

As a male, I can make some guesses based on how TSA has treated me when they have required a belt removal. BWI has told me to take my belt off and then sent me to a secondary for daring to hold my pants up when transiting the checkpoint. They advised that my hands had to be open and visible while going through the WTMD or it triggered an automatic secondary.

My assumption would be that, based on the couple of times I have experienced this, a person wearing a dress that can only be properly held closed with the required belt would be treated to a secondary for daring to hold the dress closed when told to remove the belt.