FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to increase credit line or limit on SPG Amex or in general?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:57 pm
geclub1

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by cardtracker
I've been an Amex cardholder for 28 years and have multiple cards with them ranging from Platinum to Blue to Green to corporate ones. All of them have had high limits until my recent SPG card which I got for the 30,000 points. When I got the card and saw the limit, I thought it was a typo and called CS. They confirmed the limit and I asked for a CLI. The rep took the request and after a couple of weeks I received a decision letter which stated that a CLI request couldn't be processed until three months after account opening. (Would have been nice if the Amex rep told me this up front.)

You would think that Amex would look at past CLs coupled with payment history before they issue the card. The card is going into the drawer and I'll use any card but this one going forward.
I thought Amex handled this round of SPG promotion really well. From what I heard so far, they have approved cards and given all these 30K/40K SPG points, even the new credit lines are a bit low.

How would you think if Amex did this like the other card issuers?

If it were Chase, your new SPG card would be approved in the same time that one of your exisiting high-limit Blue (by random draw, I suppose) was closed. All without telling you.

It it were Citi, your new SPG card would be approved instantly. Then you received a letter in the mail saying, "sorry, you weren't approved at all."