FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Optiontown.com paid upgrades on SAS
View Single Post
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:41 am
ILS2

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
Originally Posted by SusanDK
1. Any idea whether the routing via EWR or IAD has a higher chance of upgrade with OT for that time of year?
Check with seatcounter.com or expertflyer.com. In my experience, the flight needs to be sold out (or close to) in M before upgrades to Y+ or C are done. I have never been upgraded with OT unless it seemed that it was needed for operational reasons.

2. Is there any way to check OT options and upgrade pricing before booking a ticket?
No, but you could book a ticket, get a reference number, check the price with OT, and then cancel within 24 hours (SAS rules).

3. I understand that OT will charge for the upgrade, and refund if it isn't successful. Since our only charge cards are either in USD or DKK, I guess that means we could have a loss on currency exchange when the refund comes through?
Yes, but unless the world economy crashes again in between the time of booking and refund, then I doubt it would be a lot of money.

4. As far as I understand, we can purchase the least expensive coach ticket and still apply for the OT upgrades, correct? Are there any indications that the original ticket price, or fare class, has any influence on success of OT upgrade?
One of the mysteries of OT. I once sent an e-mail to member services asking for information on how upgrades were prioritized (i.e. status over booking class etc.), but they never came back to me. I would assume that they have some kind of system which makes sense, so the whole thing won't end up being a lottery, but we just don't know how it works.

5. Does one's status either with SK or * have an influence on success? I assume we'd be better off putting the CO FF number on the record since we are *G with CO, vs. our EBB FF number (no status), correct or not?
Same as above. We don't know. I would assume that status pax come before non-status pax.

6. Any recent experiences of the price of OT upgrades for the TATL routes, either to E+ or C? It sounds like most of the upgrades to E+ are in the range of €170 - €200, and to C are €400 or more, true?
Lowest I've seen between Europe and the US is 135 EUR for Y+ and 375 for C. The most expensive has been 175 EUR for Y+ and 450 EUR for C.

Any advice is appreciated.
The load factor in M should be your best indicator on whether you have a good chance for an OT upgrade or not.