FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:37 pm
Scott6067

Programs: Flying Nut
Originally Posted by JayRich
Sorry about your experience, recently, I was going MSP - Detroit, I had done a SDC to get to MSP earlier, but since I knew the MSP - Detroit flight was oversold by 6, I decide to hang out in MSP and not Detroit and see what happened on my flight. When I got to gate I told them I was interested, "if the price was right." I hung back and they did need my seat, they actually booked me on a direct flight in F and got home an hour earlier. I did make mistake of not confirming the amount of compensation until after the flight was loaded, and he did tell me it was $400. So I feel very lucky. Sounds like, it really wasn't a VDB, they just did a SDC prior to the flight leaving, usually they'll wait till flight has boarded to insure volunteers are needed prior to processing payments.
I have found that the last three DL bumps I have taken DL has done them an hour to two hours before my flight left. I have been given compensation and on my way back to the lounge well before the three flights I have bumped from have started to board. I find it interesting that DL would do this. Oh well my gain!

Originally Posted by Kien
Thanks. You all are right...I should have asked what is the compensation before volunteering. Like I said, I was checking in at 4:00AM for a 6:00AM flight. I was not in a hurry to get to my destination as I did not have to be there for another 12 hours after my scheduled flight so getting there a few hours later would not have affected me in any way. I thought I had the time and assume the compensation is usually a free RT ticket but it was a bad assumption on my part. I was almost floored when I was told you get nothing for compensation. I know they were desperate because they were trying to figure out how to get other people to SLC in time to make their connections and it was a small plane so there won't be too many volunteers. I was just waiting around and they said they could get me there earlier than my scheduled time even though I had to fly in the opposite direction to make my connecting flight. I left an hour earlier than my scheduled flight time but I had a little longer flight. I would have rather waited, get there later than my scheduled time, and get a free RT ticket. Maybe it was my fault for chiming in so early that I got put on a flight an hour earlier than my scheduled departure time so I can get to my destination on time and hence they would not really have to compensate me at all. Then I really would have done them a big favor for nothing. Well, I did finally get $100 so it was not nothing. Nuff said. Lesson learned.
Always go for the dollars vs. the roundtrip unless the trip you are planning to book is expensive. RT vouchers dont tend to earn miles and may have more restrictions than $$ vouchers as $$ vouchers are trated like cash.