FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - California trip and hotels advice needed...what to do?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 1:07 pm
abmj-jr

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by bizzylizzy
... I'll have a scout around for places to stay North of the city. I gather that many places fill up a year in advance. I guess they do have cancellations from time to time though. ...
This may be true if you are looking at accommodations INSIDE a National Park or major attraction. There are many lower-cost places to stay in the small towns just outside the parks.

You don't say when this trip will happen but I assume from your posts that it will be soon. Late August/early September can be rather hot and dry in the Central/Northern California area. San Francisco will be pleasant but once you get into the hills away from the coast, be prepared for warm weather. When you say "north," be aware that Yosemite is not really "north" from San Fran. I think of Northern California as the coastal areas and redwood forests north of the Golden Gate (San Francisco) and the Central Valley and mountain areas north of Sacramento. This would include the wine country you mention.

If you wish to include Yosemite National Park, a moderate day of driving will get you to any of several small towns just outside the Park, where rooms mays still be found. Some, such as Merced, are the base for bus tours up into the Park. The drive out through the Delta region between the Bay Area and Stockton is quite pleasant. Stockton to Merced, not so much. A full-day visit to Yosemite from outside the Park will still let you see the major attractions at Glacier Point and in the Valley. Of course, a night or two IN the Valley would be quite nice but as you are aware, difficult to arrange on short notice.

In addition to Yosemite, which is what everyone seems to come here for, in the "north" region, I recommend the Muir Woods Forest just a short drive from the City for a quick day excursion or, even better, the very nice drive north along Highway 1 to the Point Reyes National Seashore (Park) or even further along the rugged coast to Fort Ross. One of my best memories of a romantic get-away is of a couple of nights at a very nice bed-and-breakfast in Inverness, just outside P.R. National Seashore.

An idea for a 2-night trip out of the City might be to Lassen Volcanic National Park in the far northern part of the state. For Lassen, you would need a full day drive to Red Bluff or Redding and a couple of nights in one of those inexpensive small towns. A full day would then suffice to drive up to the Park, see everything and drive back down to your room. The sights are rather compact and easy to see in a 1-day visit but very different from the much more crowded Yosemite/Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Parks. In addition to the beautiful high mountain area, Lassen is still an active volcano and has areas with sulfur clouds, steam vents and bubbling mud pots in a place called Bumpass Hell (gotta love that.)

I agree with other posters that a 10 day stay limits you in what you can see of our large, diverse state. If you choose to stay with the LAX arrival, you could still see some of the coastal areas on your way to San Francisco. 3 or 4 days driving and visiting up the central coast through Santa Barbara, Morro Bay, Cayucos, San Simeon (Hearst Castle), Big Sur and Monterey would be nice and relaxing and still leave enough time for your 5-6 days in the City before departure. There are some fine winemaking regions along that route in Monterey and San Luis Obispo counties. Despite all the hype, Napa isn't the only place for that sort of thing. YMMV.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Aug 21, 2010 at 2:29 pm